British Modern Military History Society - BMMHS.
Linda Parker is the Events Manager and co-founder of the
BMMHS organise a series of monthly Zoom Talks and live meetings for anyone interested in military history over the last 200 years from Nelson’s times to the present day.
BMMHS is Raising Funds for Blind Veterans UK
Glimpses of War Volumes 1 & 2 are available on Amazon - Click on the book's cover to purchase your copy.
The British Modern Military History Society (BMMHS) have now published two volumes of Glimpses of War, the proceeds from which go to the military charity Blind Veterans UK (formerly St Dunstan’s). Both of the books are now available on Amazon.
Inspired by the first COVID lockdown, when our monthly live talks ceased, we asked our BMMHS members and associates to search their family archives and papers for their own and their family members’ experiences of war time – military or civilian, any war, any role. An overwhelming response has seen in excess of 220 articles and over 400,000 words from across the globe including the USA, Australia and several European countries. Articles range from the Boer War through the two world wars to the more recent Falklands War in 1982 and Afghanistan.
The latest book in the Glimpses of War series, Glimpses of the Falklands War, is currently being compiled and edited as we speak. As with other volumes of Glimpses of War, all profits will go to the charity Blind Veterans UK. #blindveterans
We have had an overwhelming response to the request for articles and contributions from as far afield as the Falkland Islands, Canada, Argentina, the USA and of course the UK. The experiences and stories are from military personnel from all the services, civilians, Falkland Islanders, Argentines and more. Some are from well-known names from the war, while many are from the ranks of service men and women who served as young adults. The experiences of the Falkland Islanders who were under occupation and bombardment for seven weeks are graphically described. Likewise the stories and memories of those serving on ships that were sunk and those soldiers telling of fierce fighting in atrocious weather conditions to get to Stanley are vivid and emotional. There are also contributions from lesser recognised quarters such as military intelligence, the dockyard workers who prepared the ships for war, the aircrews who rescued survivors from blazing vessels, and the medics and chaplains who healed and comforted the bodies and minds of friend and foe.
Glimpses of the Falklands War will be published in June to coincide with the 40th anniversary of Liberation Day, and will be available on Amazon.
Please tell your friends and associates about this project, and do buy the book once released as it is for a very worthy cause.
The BMMHS Team
‘What a marvellous time — during the many privations of ‘lockdown’ — to ask us all to turn out our family archives and contribute to the BMMHS’s first publication. And no better charity than Blind Veterans UK to receive any profit from this great initiative.’
Click on the items below for further information on BMMHS and and our partner organisations
- Evening Zoom Talk: The Finish-Soviet Winter War 5th July 2022 7:30pm
- Evening Zoom Talk: The Battle of Midway 14th June 2022 7:30pm
- Glimpses of The Falklands War – Book Launch Video
- Evening Meeting: The Women who flew for Hitler 8th June 7:30pm
- Evening Meeting: Bomb Disposal 11th May 2022 7:30pm
- Evening Zoom Talk: Hobarts Funnies 3rd May 2022 7:30pm
- Evening Meeting: From the Sea, Freedom: The Falklands Conflict 13th April 2022 7:30pm
- SoFFAAM All Day Event – Falklands 40 Saturday 2nd April 2022
- Evening Zoom Talk: The Indian Mutiny 5th April 2022 7:30pm
- Evening Meeting: From Wellington to Kitchener 9th March 2022 7:30pm
- Evening Zoom Talk: Boer War 1st March 2022 7:30pm
- Evening Meeting: SOE in Burma 9th February 2022 7:30pm
- Evening Zoom Talk: Cold War RN Submarine Operations 1st February 2022 7:30pm
- Evening Meeting: The Real Great Escape 12th January 2022 7:30pm
- Evening Zoom Talk: Arnhem 4th January 2022 7:30pm